Offering Medical and Surgical Care for Ear Nose and Throat Patients of Scottsdale, AZ
John Stewart, DO, is Board Certified in Otolaryngology and provides comprehensive Ear Nose & Throat specialty care to patients in Scottsdale and the Phoenix metropolitan area in Arizona.
Dr. Stewart has a special interest in treating all aspects of sinus disease. By staying on the forefront of sinus surgery innovation and technology, Dr. Stewart now offers minimally invasive approaches and techniques to treat sinus disease that are more cost effective and result in better outcomes, fewer complications, and faster recovery times.
Dr. Stewart is one of the most experienced surgeons in the nation with sinus balloon technology, adopting it when it was originally introduced in 2010.
Dr. Stewart received his undergraduate degree in biology from Grand Canyon University where he graduated suma cum lade. He received his medical degree from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed his residency training in Otorhinolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery at the Freeman Hospital & Health System in Joplin, MS. After his residency Dr. Stewart completed his fellowship in Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery under Dr. Michael Paparella and Dr. Hamed Sajjadi.
In his free time Dr. Stewart enjoys triathlons, hiking, golf, and spending time with his family.
The mission of the American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) is to assure the public that, via its process of certification and lifelong maintenance of certification, its diplomates have met the ABO professional standards of training and knowledge in otolaryngology – head and neck surgery.
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science - Biology/Minor in Chemistry. Grand Canyon University (1990)
- Graduate: Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (1997)
- Internship: Freeman Hospital & Health System General Surgery (1998)
- Residency: Otorhinolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery - Freeman Hospital & Health System (2002).
Completed over 3500 surgical cases upon residency graduation, including otologic, neurotologic, head & neck oncologic and reconstructive surgery, skull base, pediatric and facial plastic surgeries.
- Fellowship: Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery (2002-2003)
Program Director: Dr. Michael Paparella and Dr. Hamed Sajjadi Associations with University of MN, Minneapolis, Fairview Riverside Hospital, Abbott Hospital, Children's and Mercy Hospital. Extensive exposure in all facets of otology/neurotology including chronic ear disease, stapedectomy, cochlear implantation, tympanoplasty, endolymphatic sac surgery, acoustic neuroma, tumors of the skull base, facial nerve disorders and vestibular surgery and rehabilitation.
Honors, Awards, Societies
- High School Park PI award for academic excellence
- Academic Scholarship to Grand Canyon University
- ALPHA KAPPA EPSILON (Premedical Society)
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude at Grand Canyon University
- Member of American Osteopathic Association
- Member of Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians
- Member of American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgeons
- Member of Academy of Osteopathic Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgeons
- Recipient of Freeman Hospital Distinguished Service Award January 1998
Research, Presentation, Publications
- Taylor, Ma., .Mann, K., Piette, S., Boston, M., Priddy, B., Stewart, J., Meier, P., 1988 "Cyclic GMP Levels During Oogensesis in Maturation of Xenopus Laevis Oocytes." Journal of Arizona - Nevada Academy of Science, 23, 29.
- Taylor, Ma., Boston, M., Meier, P., Stewart, J., Jai, J., Johnson, B., Piette, S.,Mann, K., Franklin, G., Priddy, B., 1988 'Localization of Newly Synthesized Protein in Xenopus Laevis Oocytes. Journal of Arizona - Nevada Academy of Science, 23,30.
- "Three Dimensional Image Directed, Frameless, Stereotaxic Assisted Neurosurgery in the Management of Cranial Base Neoplasms." TM Wascher, BC Fitzpatrick, JS Stewart, RF Spetzler. Presented at the American College of Surgeons. 1992 Clinical Congress; New Orleans, LA. October 14, 1992.
- "Use of a Frame less Stereotaxic Navigational Device During Resection of Skull Base Lesions."TM Wascher, BC Fitzpatrick, JS Stewart, RF Spetzler. Presented at Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C., November 2, 1992.
- "Use of a Frameless Stereotaxic Navightional Device During Resection of Skull Base Lesions."TM Wascher, BC Fitzpatrick, JS Stewart, RF Spetzler. Accepted for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the North American Skull Base Society. Scottsdale, AZ. February 12- 14, 1993.
- BC Fitzpatrick, TM Wascher, JS Stewart, RF Spetzler. "The Role ofFrameless lntraoperative Navigational Devices During Resection of Skull Base Tumors."(ln preparation)
- Patrick, Ph.D., JS Stewart, "Seizure Threshold in Lead Treated Animals."(In preparation)
- JS Stewart, D.O., L.D Mcintire, D.O.;"Acute Facial Nerve Paralysis: An Algorithm Approach." (Submitted for publication in the Resident's Journal of The Academy Of Osteopathic Otolaryngologists and Ophthamologists)
- JS Stewart, D.O., K.D Mcintire, D.O.; "Metastatic Patterns of Laryngeal Carcinoma" (Submitted for publication in the Resident's Journal of The Academy Of Osteopathic Otolaryngologists and Ophthamologists)
The Patient Experience...
Great doctor and staff! The staff is excellent so nice to me and helpful and Dr. Stewart is very good. He spent time with me and [he's] very detailed. He didn't just rush me out of the office.
Dr. Stewart saved my life. I had a fast growing abcess in the back of my throat . It cut off my ability to swallow water or food. If left alone it would have stopped my breathing. He did emergency surgery on me. I was able to leave the hospital the next day. He explained everything to me before and after the surgery and set up a follow up to check me. Any problems that I may run into in the future I will go back to him . The man saved my life. To me it doesn't get better than that.
Great Experience! We were seen immediately though we had never been before. The nurses were so helpful and Dr. Stewart was quick and funny. I am so thankful!
Five Stars! Big thank you and very grateful to Dr. Stewart and his staff who promptly treated me.
Please Note: Every patient is unique, and your results may vary.